In order to run a smooth operation, much lies behind the scene. Preparing a great cup of espresso is both an art and a science, but the final product of a well-run operation is largely dependent on a few key, strategic steps.
- If you are not pouring 20+ second shots of espresso, you are not making espresso.
- Grinder maintenance is key to product quality, as your grinder is cutting the coffee.
- Brewing espresso is a culinary process. Proper training, management, cleaning, and maintenance will ensure a quality product. Do not count on your taste buds or your staff’s opinions. Use your roaster’s standards and manage the process to ensure they are followed.
- Making the espresso is not an art—properly mixing and presenting the drink is. Focus on what the customer tastes and sees. Make your drinks a work of art and will have dedicated customers.
- Many times, 40-60% of all dollar volume can be at peak times. Purchase for these times, not daily volume. Most operations could do 20-30% more volume if they had larger equipment, a more organized bar area, and overall faster baristas.